Land Development

Land Development

The processes of subdivision and land development are done through Palliser Regional Municipal Services and the Town of Coronation.  Notify the Town of Coronation of your intent and the Development Officer can assist with the process.

Town of Coronation Land Available for Sale 

Any planning, development or subdivision process information can be found on the website of Palliser Regional Municipal Services.

Land Use Bylaw Map

Town of Coronation Development Permit Application Form

When is a Development Permit required?

If you are planning changes such as constructing or renovating a building or changing the use of a building or land, you will need a Development Permit from the Town of Coronation.

Development Permits deal with a development’s impact on surrounding properties.  Building Permits deal with the structural stability of buildings and the health and safety of the building’s occupants.  Meeting with us early can help you avoid surprises and help ensure that your project goes quickly and smoothly.

What Sort of Things Require a Development Permit?

  1. New buildings.
  2. Structural additions, alterations or repairs to any existing buildings. These can include basement developments; skylights and sun rooms. A permit is not required for painting, decorating, new siding, shingles, etc.
  3. Change of use of a building (most common to a new business replacing an old business in a commercial building).
  4. Operating a home based business.
  5. Attached and detached garages.
  6. Decks – if any part of the floor is more than 0.6 m (2 ft) above the ground.
  7. Sheds that measure more than 13.4 m2 or 144 ft.2 in floor area or for smaller sheds if a foundation is constructed.
  8. Communications Towers
  9. Landscaping if it involves changing the drainage pattern on the lot or if retaining walls over 1 m (3 ft) high are built.
  10. Swimming pools.
  11. A day home where care is provided to children under the age of 12. Other conditions may apply.

What is the application process? 

  1. Complete application form.
  2. Bring your plans and supporting documents to the Town Office. This generally includes site plan, floor plan and elevations.
  3. Development Officer reviews the application and supporting documents to determine if the material is sufficient to file the application. If it is sufficient, your application will be accepted. The application fee is required to be paid at the time of application. If your application is not sufficient, you will be advised what else is required before your application is accepted.
  4. Development Officer assesses your application and considers things such as parking, land use, design and the surrounding area.
  5. Development permits where the applicant is applying for a Discretionary use or a Permitted use where a variance or relaxation is requested or the installation of a sign, a notice of the decision of the Development Officer will be advertised in the local paper and is subject to a 21 day appeal period. The Development Officer also notifies landowners and occupiers in writing who are likely to be affected by the proposal.
  6. If there is no objection to the development, the Development Officer will issue a development permit 21 days after the notice of decision is given.
  7. Any person claiming to be affected by a decision of the Development Officer may appeal to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board by serving written notice of appeal to the Secretary of the Board

Building Permit Application

Electrical Permit Application

Gas Permit Application 

Plumbing Permit Application

Palliser Regional Municipal Services – Permit Fees

You may need a building permit in addition to your development permit.  Where the Land Use Bylaw regulates the use and form of development through issuing a development permit, the Alberta Building Code regulates methods and materials used in building construction, the occupancy and the use of buildings and equipment to safeguard the health and safety of building occupants.

Building and other permits such as gas and electrical are available through Palliser Regional Municipal Services.

Many of the items you need development permits for also require building permits.  At the time of application you will need to provide plans showing the details of the work to be done.  For most projects, such as finishing a basement or building a deck, we might require only a hand drawn sketch.  For an addition to a house or commercial building you may require drawings prepared by an architect or engineer.

What is the difference between a development permit and a building permit?

A development permit is required prior to commencement of any development, which includes constructing a building, among other things. You must obtain a development permit before obtaining a building permit.

A building permit, on the other hand, is required prior to the construction, renovation, and addition of a building whether it is for residential, commercial, industrial, or other uses. An application for a building permit requires an application form, an application fee, and one or more complete sets of blue prints for the proposed construction.

For example: The development permit says that you may put a garage on this (specific location) piece of land. A building permit says that your garage may be this size, made of this material, and of this design.

NOTE: It is necessary to obtain electrical, plumbing, and gas permits prior to such installments.

What is a non-conforming use?

A non-conforming building or use refers to one that does not comply with the districting provisions of the bylaw, but which was in existence before, or has been issued a development permit before, the date the Land Use Bylaw came into effect. The Municipal Government Act allows for a non-conforming use of land or building to continue to exist once the land use bylaw is in effect.

What makes me eligible to submit an appeal and what reasons do I need for my appeal?

In order to be allowed to appeal a decision, you have to be the developer or a person “affected” by that decision.